Joshua S. Lim
- Employment Law
- Business Litigation
- Family Law
A partner in Kim, Cho & Lim, LLC, which serves New York and New Jersey, Joshua Lim focuses his practice on business litigation, including business fraud, and shareholder disputes. He also assists clients in litigating alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, employment discrimination and New Jersey wage and hour statutes. Mr. Lim also represents clients in adversarial proceedings as part of bankruptcy litigation. He has successfully helped a number of clients obtain six figure verdicts and settlements, won copyright infringement cases and assisted corporate clients with successfully defending claims against them.
Before becoming a part of the firm, Mr. Lim graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a high honors. He then went on to obtain his Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota Law School, where he was listed on the dean's list.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Lim also serves as a member of the New Jersey State and Bergen County bar associations and New Jersey Association for Justice. He is also a graduate of the Justice Morris Pashman American Inn of Court. Mr. Lim's knowledge and experience in business litigation has also been recognized by the Superior Court of New Jersey, which has appointed him to serve as a special fiscal agent as a part of complex business litigation on two separate occasions. Additionally, he has been selected by the Judges in New York and New Jersey to serve as arbitrator in complex commercial litigations. Having been recognized for his accomplishments in Court, he has been selected to be one of the Top 100 trial lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association in the areas of civil litigation. Mr. Lim had his honor of being nominated as a Rising Star in 2014 and as a Super Lawyer in 2020.
Mr. Lim assists clients in New Jersey and New York. He is licensed to practice law in the state courts of New York and New Jersey and before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd and the 3rd Circuit.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California
- Honors: With High Honors
- Justice Morrison Pashman American Inn of Court
- New Jersey Association for Justice Inc.
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Super Lawyer Rising Star
- Super Lawyer
- Top 100, The National Trial Lawyers
- Top 40 under 40, The National Trial Lawyers
- Rue Ratings Best Attorneys of America
- Top 10 Wage and Hour Trial Lawyers
- Top 10 Business Tort Trial Lawyers
- LG Household
- GFA, Inc.
- Pantos Logistics
- EBIN New York, Inc.
- BK House
- Successfully litigated a matter where client's real estate property was falsely encumbered by major lending institutions by promptly obtaining court orders to remove all such liens from the property.
- Successfully represented a multi-million dollar garment company in a matter where several former employees during the course of their employment jointly stole and diverted the company’s trade secrets and proprietary confidential information in a scheme to establish a competing entity. The client obtained a six figure monetary compensation and, as part of settlement, the employees were required to publish their written apologies in a local newspaper regarding their wrongdoings.
- Successfully represented a minority shareholder in a shareholder dispute by obtaining a preliminary injunction against the majority shareholder. As part of settlement, the client -minority shareholder- took over the company without paying any money to the majority shareholder.
- Successfully represented a corporate client in its claim against its former employee who joined a competing entity in violation of their restrictive covenants by obtaining a preliminary injunction order against the employee and the competing entity.
- Successfully defended a corporate client who was initially exposed to over $400,000 in liability. As a result of aggressive defense, the client settled the matter by paying only less than 1/4 of the amount demanded
- Successfully dismissed a six figure claim at trial by arguing that plaintiff failed to meet the legal standard of
- Successfully defended an individual client in a matter where plaintiff demanded over $700,000 from client in compensation under the claim of negligence by dismissing the entire claim at trial.
- Successfully represented a shareholder in a corporation by obtaining a six figure verdict at trial under the claim of conversion.
- Appointed by the Superior Court of New Jersey to serve as a special fiscal agent twice in complex business litigations.
- Successfully represented several employees in federal district courts against corporations who were not paid for their overtime premiums and obtained monetary settlements.
- Successfully secured a $200,000 monetary judgment against a corporation and individuals for having defamed our client and its business under the theories of commercial defamation and civil conspiracy.
- Successfully prosecuted a copyright infringement case against a company by obtaining an order to shut down the company's illegal operation for a period of time.
- Successfully defended a corporate client in a commercial foreclosure action by defeating the plaintiff’s motion to appoint a rent receiver. Thereafter, the parties settled under the terms that client demanded.
- Successfully represented a restaurant employee in New York federal court and secured a six figure settlement.
- Successfully represented an employee in his wage and hour claim against a national food company and obtained a six figure settlement.
- Successfully represented an employee in a sexual harassment case and secured a six figure settlement.
- Successfully represented a client against a financial institution in settlement for $500,000 under the theory of negligence.
- Successfully prosecuted several sexual harassment claims all resulting in six figure settlements.
Classes & Seminars
- Title VII compliance and Labor Law, NYKOCHAM, 2014 to 2018
- Employment Law, KOTRA
- Fair Labor Standards Act, KJKACC, 2014 to 2015
- Federal Wage and Hour Compliance, CPA Association, 2015 to 2015